Electric arc furnaces are used in recycling plants where they melt scrap metal into high quality refined products. While different technologies exist, most arc furnaces are energized at medium voltage level, through a circuit breaker and a transformer. The secondary side of the power transformer feeds bus bars connected to furnace’s electrodes.
Due to the physical nature of the melting process, the circuit breaker may trip several times per day. The uncontrolled openings of the circuit breaker may lead to premature equipment wear as the uncontrolled closings may generate high amounts of inrush currents.
By using the SynchroTeq controlled switching solution to manage the opening and closing operation of the circuit breaker, companies improve their existing systems performance, extend the lifespan of costly critical equipment and increase facility uptime though the decreased number of scheduled maintenance shutdowns.
- Increases facility revenue by increasing uptime ratio
- Increases process capacity
- Reduces facility downtime and increased system reliability
- Decreases refurbishing and replacement frequency of costly assets
- Optimizes use of existing assets by decreasing the amount of stress on high power components
- Provides real-time web monitoring and control