In heavy industry, transformer energization causes large inrush currents that can reach 15 times the nominal current. This phenomenon requires the setting of safety margins to minimize these currents, which make impossible to adjust the sensitive settings of protection relays. This condition can lead to a high incident energy faults often resulting in arc flash events. Arc flash is a major cause of personal injuries and fatalities in large industrial facilities.
Based on the use of its SynchroTeq, VIZIMAX reduces significantly the arc flash occurrence in commercial and industrial electrical systems by eliminating the inrush currents caused from the power transformer’s energization. This allows more tight protection setting eliminating potential arc Flash.
- Increases revenue as downtimes due to inrush current protection trips are avoided
- Improves personnel safety
- Reduces incident energy levels on the secondary side of the transformer
- Increases sensitivity of protection settings to decrease the arc flash energy
- Provides real-time web monitoring and control