What technology is used by SynchroTeq units?
SynchroTeq units are used to perform controlled switching of high voltage circuit breakers (C/B). They use point on wave technology - controlled switching - to perform switching loads operations always at the best instant.
Using patented operating algorithms on the C/B, SynchroTeq units automatically adjust C/B operations according to the voltage, ambient temperature and - if necessary – the pressure of the drive mechanism. In addition, units compensate for C/B idle time.
How SynchroTeq units eliminate disturbances on network and load?
SynchroTeq units take into account the effect of operating variables fluctuations such as temperature, pressure, auxiliary voltage and idle time to predict the circuit breakers’ opening and closing time, ensuring an optimal performance over a wide range of operating conditions. Finally, SynchroTeq units perform automatic adjustment for next operations based on calculations from past C/B performances. Those functions minimize disturbances on network and on load.
Furthermore, SynchroTeq Plus unit memorizes up to 2000 events, including circuit breaker operations, power transformer energization and de-energization, alarms and status changes.
What types of switching load can be performed by SynchroTeq units?
SynchroTeq units can be used for all types of switching load applications such as HV Capacitor Banks and HV Shunt Reactors.
Furthermore, SynchroTeq Plus unit allows HV power transformer switching while taking into account the residual flux, and no load uncompensated transmission lines switching while taking into account the residual voltage on the line.
Can SynchroTeq Plus unit manage power transformer energization?
Yes, SynchroTeq Plus unit constantly monitors transformer voltage and calculates the residual flux resulting from the de-energization. During, the next C/B closing operation to energize the transformer, the residual flux will be taken into account in order to reduce or completely eliminate the current inrush.
Can we integrate Power Transformer residual flux management function in new or existing SynchroTeq Rackmount or SynchroTeq SA units?
In order to manage the residual flux on the power transformer, you must choose SynchroTeq Plus unit (STP 030000). SynchroTeq Plus can integrate residual flux management for seamless power transformer energization.
In fact, SynchroTeq Plus unit allows to:
- Measure transformer voltage using HV power transformer bushing sensors or conventional PT/CVT in order to calculate the residual flux resulting from the transformer de-energization.
- Establish optimal closing angle of the HV circuit breaker using patented operating algorithm based residual flux of the HV power transformer.
Are SynchroTeq units used to control 3 poles and single pole circuit breakers?
Yes, Synchroteq units are a "Manufacturer Agnostic" solution, applicable to either brand new or existing, 3 poles and single pole HV circuit breakers.
Do SynchroTeq units work with all HV circuit breaker manufacturers?
Yes, SynchroTeq is a "Manufacturer Agnostic" solution, applicable to either brand new or existing equipment. SynchroTeq units have been used successfully on almost every brand of circuit breakers, such as Alston, ABB, Siemens, BHEL and CG Global.
Do the SynchroTeq units control circuit breakers’ opening and closing operations? Is it possible to use only the open operation?
Yes, SynchroTeq units (including the SynchroTeq, SynchroTeq SA and SynchroTeq Plus) can control only circuit breakers’ closing operation or only circuit breakers’ opening operation or circuit breakers’ opening and closing operations.
However, we recommend for opening operations of circuit breakers, to establish a protection command that will bypass SynchroTeq unit when a fault is detected, to eliminate any delay in the execution of an emergency opening.
How to configure my SynchroTeq unit?
SynchroTeq Configuration Suite must be installed on a PC, and enables system configuration and operating parameters of SynchroTeq Plus units (STP 030000).
The multilingual SynchroTeq Configuration Suite software is composed of two (2) applications:
- Configuration Software: The SynchroTeq Configurator to configure system and operating parameters for the SynchroTeq Plus units. It must be installed in a PC computer.
- Software viewer: The SynchroTeq Event Analyzer to view and analyze waveforms. It must be installed in a PC computer.
SynchroTalk enables system configuration and operating parameters of SynchroTeq (STU 01X000) and SynchroTeq SA (STU 02x000) units. This software must be installed on a PC computer and allows you to:
- Set unit operating parameters ;
- View the status of the unit ;
- View historical events and alarms from the unit ;
- Allow unit calibration and diagnostics.
Do we need a license to use SynchroTeq Configuration Suite and SynchroTalk software?
No license is required to use SynchroTalk and SynchroTeq Configuration Suite software. Each program is free and comes on CD-ROM with your unit. The software is also available on our website in the download section. Download the latest version
How to update my SynchroTeq Unit?
To update the SynchroTeq Plus unit (STP 030000), please follow these steps:
1. Download the latest version of the SynchroTeq Plus firmware via our website in the download section. Download here.
2. Install the SynchroTeq Plus firmware on a SD card
3. Insert the SD card in the appropriate slot in the front panel of the SynchroTeq Plus
4. Update the firmware version of your device using one of the two methods:
- Update the firmware using the software "SynchroTeq Configurator". For more information refer to the manual STM001020-MA-en, Chapter 5: Firmware update using the SynchroTeq Configurator.
- Update the firmware using terminal emulator via USB. Then execute fwupdate command in the terminal. For more information refer to the manual STM001020-MA-en, Chapter 5: Firmware update using a USB cable
Regarding SynchroTeq (STU 01X000) and SynchroTeq SA (STU 02X000) units, please refer to the manual MASY-0141-C, Chapter 7.3: Embedded Firmware Update.
How to reset my SynchroTeq Plus unit to factory default settings?
To reset your SynchroTeq Plus unit to factory default settings, follow these steps:
Note: The application, system configurations, event files and waveform capture will be erased.
1. Install SynchroTeq Configuration Suite software
2. Connect a terminal, for example a PC, to the USB port on the front of the unit.
3. Establish the connection between the terminal and the unit.
4. Execute factory command in the terminal.
Are SynchroTeq units compatible with substation protocols such as IEC 61850 and DNP3?
Thanks to SynchroTeq communication module (RWK 000016), it is possible to communicate with/ operate SynchroTeq unit using substation protocols such as DNP3, IEC 61850 or ModBus.
This module is configurable by XML customization file or using the configuration software (RWS 020000).
However, only SynchroTeq Plus (STP 030000), SynchroTeq with communication module compatibility (STU 015000) and SynchroTeq SA with communication module compatibility (STU025000) can manage substation protocols.
Is there any difference between SynchroTeq basic model (STU 010000) and SynchroTeq with communication module compatibility (STU 015000)?
Yes, there is a difference between SynchroTeq base units (STU 010000, STU 020000) and SynchroTeq with communication module compatibility (STU 015000, STU 025000).
A hardware modification is required to enable SynchroTeq Rackmount (STU 010000) and SynchroTeq SA (STU 020000) basic units to communicate with substations protocols such as DNP3, Modbus or IEC 61850.
Can SynchroTeq units be remotely controlled and configured?
SynchroTeq units support substation communication protocols such as DNP3, IEC 61850 or ModBus which allow remotely controlled from a centralized system.
SynchroTeq Plus (STP 030000) unit can be configured remotely via one of the following solutions:
- The "SynchroTeq Configurator" software: you can remotely access to the software via a secure web page with a login and password as well as HTTP or HTTPS protocols, if the unit is connected to the TCP / IP network.
- The Web operation interface of the unit: you can remotely access to the Web interface to load the configuration file. This web interface is secured by login and password as well as HTTP or HTTPS protocols.
Furthermore, the web interface allows you to:
- Record events ;
- Monitor the status of SynchroTeq Plus unit and circuit breaker ;
- Capture, save, analyze and export data in COMTRADE format ;
- Display event details: alarms, measured and calculated values, etc ;
- Display events record and alarms ;
- Export SynchroTeq Plus configuration when an event is detected.
Regarding commissioning service, do we need to prepare additional devices such as an oscilloscope, multimeter? Or can we perform the commissioning with SynchroTeq unit only?
During commissioning test, you do not need any oscilloscope because SynchroTeq configuration software (SynchroTalk and Synchroteq Configuration Suite) are composed of a waveform analyser and viewer. However, you may need a multimeter during unit start-up and a C/B tester/analyzer.
What are the environmental and marking compliances of the SynchroTeq Plus unit?
SynchroTeq Plus unit are CE, ROHS compliant. Furthermore, SynchroTeq Plus unit is compliant with NERC CIP, IEEE std 1686–2007 and IEEE std C37.231-2006 for security requirements.
Want to ask questions ?
Please contact us.